Bring your team up to speed with proven techniques in systems modeling quickly and efficiently with Pathfinder Solutions Fundamentals of Systems Modeling training. Based on decades of industry experience with model-driven systems engineering and architecture, this 3-day course delivers the essential elements of tool-independent modeling approaches for architecting and specifying complex, real-time and other high performance systems.
Pathfinder’s Fundamentals of Systems Modeling training delivers modeling foundation skills to get teams started with a pragmatic model-driven approach for engineering complex, high performance systems using the SysML language. This course is based on OMG SysML standards with a focus on logical architecture and platform independent techniques. The Fundamentals of Systems Modeling accommodates engineers with a range of experience and ability to quickly bring your entire team up to an effective level of competence in modeling.
Refined Curriculum Based on Pragmatic Techniques
This class delivers proven model-driven techniques from an accumulation of decades of industry best practice. Building a solid foundation in systems modeling skills, Pathfinder Solutions has tailored each section to introduce essential skills and disciplines that fit into a coherent process for specifying, architecting and developing complex systems. With a focus on building simple, high quality elements, this course teaches your team what it needs to know to get your project done successfully and on schedule.
The 3 Secrets of Systems Modeling: One highlight of the Fundamentals of Systems Modeling is the 3 Secrets of Systems Modeling material. Decades of experience has shown that System Modeling approaches that deliver the most significant gains in overall results share the pursuit of these three virtues:
- » Consistency through Canonical Information
- » Simplicity through Multi-Aspect Separation
- » Efficiency through Minimalist Modeling
Other Course Content: This course is organized to sequentially build specific SysML and general modeling skills while teaching each integrated phase of systems modeling.
- » Systems Modeling Overview: The System and The World, The System Within, Work Products Produced, General Modeling Common Sense
- » Context and Use Cases: Context Diagrams, External Interfaces, Building Use Cases, and Reviewing Use Case Models
- » Logical Architecture: Components and Interfaces, Domain Modeling, and Reviewing Logical Architecture
- » Detailed Blocks: The Block, Construction and Evolution, Component Focus, and Building and Reviewing Blocks
- » Behavior Modeling: Operations and Component Strategy through Scenarios
- » Physical Architecture: Subsystems and Interfaces, Ports and Flows, and Deploying Components to Subsystems
- » Requirements and Modeling: Normative Elements, Relating Requirements with the Model, and Textual Requirements Outside the Model
- » Systems Modeling Work Products: Customer Focus, Required Work Products, and Build Only What is Needed
- » Bridging to Development: The Chasm, Drivers for Collaboration, The Obstacles, Shared Elements, and Joint Development
Integrated and Extensive In-Class Exercises and Example System: Class material is reinforced and internalized with an extensive set of in-class exercises. The team-based whiteboard efforts build actual model elements in settings closely matching real-world contexts.
In-class exercises build actual elements of a complex example system. A non-trivial system with a range of components, this example is sufficiently challenging to illuminate the utility of each modeling technique, but is still simple enough to grasp within the class context. Available in a range of modeling environments as a complete SysML model, the example system is a valuable resource during the class and afterwards.
Customize the Fundamentals of Systems Modeling Training for your Specific Team and Project Needs
Department of Defense Architecture Framework Add On: Pathfinder’s Fundamentals of Systems Modeling training includes the optional section “DoDAF and Systems Modeling.” The DoDAF Add On delivers a practical set of techniques for creating and delivering systems modeling work products under the DoDAF v2.0. Driven by decades of Defense Industry experience, this pragmatic class prepares students to:
- » Outline the purpose of the Department of Defense Architecture Framework (DoDAF) and its key viewpoints and work products
- » Differentiate between DoDAF elements derived from systems modeling of technical- and computationally-oriented capabilities and those derived from systems modeling of human- and organizationally-oriented capabilities
- » Develop systems modeling elements to support DoDAF views and reports
Tool-Specific Training: The Fundamentals of Systems Modeling training can also be customized to provide tool-specific training. The tool-specific 3-day course delivers industry-proven modeling foundation skills to get teams started with model-driven engineering of complex, high performance systems using Sparx System’s Enterprise Architect for SysML, IBM’s Rhapsody SysML tool or No Magic’s MagicDraw for architecting and specifying complex, real-time and other high performance systems. The tool-specific trainings include hands-on in-lab exercises outlining the step-by-step process for capturing Systems Modeling in your choice of tool.
Executable MBSE Training Add On: Enhance your team’s knowledge of proven techniques in executable Model-Based Systems Engineering quickly and efficiently with Pathfinder Solutions Fundamentals of Systems Modeling – Executable MBSE training add-on. This 1-day course delivers systems model verification and scenario execution approaches using Sparx System’s Enterprise Architect for SysML. Additional topics include:
- » An Overview of Systems Modeling Verification: Components and Interfaces, Flow of Control and Data, and Goals of Verification through Execution
- » Scenario-Based Testing: Revisiting System-Level Acenatios, Modeling the Simulated External World, and Scenario Execution in EA
- » Executable Parametrics in EA: Executable Parametrics Elements, Enterprise Architect Capabilities, and Basic Parametrics Execution
- » Trade Studies: Systems Models and the Trade Study, The Limitations of the Model, and Parametrics and Trades
- » Work Product Generation: Spot Products, Deliverable Documents, and Blending Generated and Handwritten Content
Substantially Improve Business Results
This class focuses on optimizing modeling efforts to efficiently meet work product consumer needs. In addition to improving system quality and overall productivity, this approach enhances the extent and effectiveness of collaboration between systems engineering and software architecture/development efforts.
On-Site Classes Available: Have this training at your location to reduce travel costs and inconvenience.
Maintain Momentum with Pathfinder Systems Modeling Mentoring: Students and instructors develop a rhythm and momentum. Continue to build success with Pathfinder Solutions’ expert modeling mentoring. Our experienced mentors continue to teach and guide, directly participating in your team’s systems engineering efforts.
For more information, please feel free to download our Fundamentals of Systems Modeling datasheets.
Give your team the competitive edge. Contact us to discuss your team’s project goals and customize the Pathfinder Solutions’ Fundamentals of Systems Modeling training for your team.